This here is authentic Southern cooking. You can tell because it calls for bacon drippings! :) Mmmm... I think we'd give this recipe a 10 out of 10!!! Definitely not low-fat, but very delicious!! I have substituted regular oil for the bacon grease and it works, but its not as good. Hope y'all enjoy!!!
Mexican Corn Bread
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 cup bacon drippings (yum!!)
1 (17oz) can cream-style corn
1lb sausage
1lb cheddar cheese, grated
1 onion, chopped
4-5 jalapeon peppers, chopped
Combine cornmeal, milk, eggs, salt, soda, bacon drippings and corn in mixing bowl. Blend well; set aside. Saute sausage until lightly browned, drain thoroughly and set aside. Pour 1/2 cornmeal mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Crumble sausage over cheese and sprinkle with onion and peppers. Add rest of cheese and top with remaining corn meal mixture. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
ETA: We sometimes top with salsa and sour cream and that makes it even more delicious!
2 comments:
This is GOOD! 9.9 tenths of the time I can't find my copy of Abby's recipe (not a problem now) so I substitute my own cornbread recipe using bacon fat instead of oil. Delicious!
Becky
Where do you buy those "jalapeon" peppers? I'm thinking...(painful process)...peon...fudge maker's peon... is a jala-peon kind of like an an assistant pepper maker?
Unidentified Smart-mouth
Post a Comment